Vehicle age requirements vary by state/city. Click here to get accurate information for your specific location.
- Must have four doors. Each door must have a handle accessible from the exterior of the vehicle.
- All signals, lights, high beams, hazards, turn signals, brakes, fog lamps, and other lights must work.
- A/C and Heater must work.
- All of your windows must roll up and down fully.
- No cracks in windshield, windows, or mirrors. (leeway on minor damage as long as it does not obstruct driver field of vision).
- The car body must be in good condition. It doesn’t need to have a perfect body or paint. Minor scratches and dents are fine. Slight hail damage may still pass the vehicle inspection.
- Must have a working horn.
- Tires must be in good shape with tread remaining.
- Tailpipe and mufflers must work properly.
- Seat-belts must buckle and work properly.
- Seat Adjustments must be in working order.
Taxi and Black Towncars:
- All things that could remotely identify the car as a taxi must be removed. Towncars can still display their commercial numbers as required by law. However, when operating under the Lyft platform you are not allowed to use calls generated by Lyft to accept cash or negotiate rides.
Lyft XL, formerly known as Lyft Plus:
- If you have a vehicle with seven or more seats (and seat-belts) your vehicle will qualify to receive Lyft XL calls (6 passenger seats). Lyft XL calls have the unique ability to transport six or more passengers for 1.5x the normal rate of a regular Lyft.
- Lyft XL vehicles must still have four doors and meet all of the requirements on age and condition as a regular Lyft vehicle.
- Vehicles that qualify should automatically be opted-in to receive XL calls. If you do not receive these calls for some reason, contact Lyft.
- Unlike UberXL, you cannot opt-in to only receive Lyft XL calls. You will not be notified in the app whether or not the request is for a Lyft XL or a regular Lyft.
Lyft also offers higher-end vehicle options for higher earnings. Aside from the standard Lyft (up to 4 passengers) and Lyft XL (up to 6 passengers), they also offer Lyft Lux, Lux Black, and Lux Black XL.
You can earn more with vehicles that qualify for Lyft Lux, Lux Black, and Lux Black XL.
Here’s what Lyft has to say about what those mean:
- Lyft Lux: High-end, four seats, the perfect way to add a little luxury and arrive in style
- Lux Black: Premium black car service limited to only the most luxurious makes and models
- Lux Black XL: Premium black SUV service with space for parties up to six passengers
- Each of these options has specific vehicles that are approved. See the full list here.