Lyft realizes that most drivers are just ordinary people like you and me.
They try to make the application process quick and easy to open up the driver opportunity to as many people as they can, but they also have safety standards and regulations to meet.
This is necessary to protect their rider customers and the integrity of the rideshare business model.
Here is a list of their requirements to become a Lyft driver:
- Applicants must be 21 years of age or older.
- Applicants must have had a valid driver’s license for at least 1 year.
- Must have a good driving record.
- Pass a criminal background check.
- Be insured on the vehicle you intend to drive.
Valid Driver License:
You are required to have had a driver’s license for one year. The driver’s license must be issued by the state you plan to drive in and the same goes for your insurance and the license plates and registration for the vehicle you plan to drive.
Temporary registration is accepted but again it must be issued from the state where you plan to drive (if your temporary registration was issued from another state you can get one issued for a small fee from your DMV in the state you plan to drive in).
If you have not had a driver’s license in your current state of residence for a year, you will need to send a copy of your old driver’s license from your former state of residence as well as your current driver’s license.
This is as easy as emailing a photo of both driver licenses to Lyft’s help center.
Good Driving Record:
Lyft is looking for a clean driving record but it doesn’t have to be absolutely spotless! Below are some examples of what you can and can’t have on your driving record.
- No more than 3 moving violations in the last 3 years (speeding tickets, seatbelts, traffic lights, fender benders).
- No major violations in the last three years (driving with a suspended license, reckless driving).
- No DUI’s or drug-related violations in the last 7 years.
- No extreme infractions within the last 7 years (hit and run, felonies involving a vehicle).
Many people think if they have a speeding ticket they won’t be accepted to drive for Lyft but this is not true. You may still qualify even if you have several minor tickets.
The only way to know for sure is to apply!
Lyft does background checks through a third party company. They check for the issues below (for the past 7 years).
- No violent crimes
- No sexual offenses
- No theft
- No property damage
- No felonies
- No drug-related offenses
The background check is initiated once you complete and upload the previously mentioned documents into the driver app.
The check is usually completed in 1 – 3 days though it can take longer and in some cases, it may come back complete in as little as 45 minutes and the applicant can hit the road and start earning!